Páginas

lunes, 11 de junio de 2012

(Don't) call me maybe

One of the most noticeable adjustments for me during our initial days in Peru has been getting used to being without a cell phone. The number of times I’ve instinctively started to reach for my phone in the past three days has made me very aware of how ingrained constant connectivity is in my daily life. When something reminds me of someone, when something amazing happens and I want to share it, when I realize the French Open finals are today and want to text my mom to ask who won – I am used to being able to instantly gratify these thoughts with a quick text or call. And it’s not just the result of being away from home and missing everyone I usually talk to - even during this first day flying solo with our host families, I’ve wanted to share things with other volunteers and have found my hand starting to rummage through my bag before I stop and realize I have no way of reaching them.

Don’t worry, I won’t be swearing off telecomms for the next two years or anything drastic, but I am going to try and be conscious of how my life is different during the next 5-ish weeks (until we get our cell phones). Also, side note while we're on the topic of connectivity - I've updated my snail-mail address on the "Contact" page; turns out the first one wasn't right, woops!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario